Pages

Monday, February 25, 2013

A College Graduate's Story: I Volunteered in Kenya

Sometimes, going abroad may not seem feasible; it can seem nearly impossible to actually make it happen. That is why today I want to share a story about a college graduate who made it possible. Megan Brink chose to volunteer in Kenya for 3 months upon graduation and had the experience of a lifetime. I learned about her experience through an interview we had just a couple weeks ago. This is her story.


Q: What program did you go through to volunteer in Kenya?
A: I chose to volunteer in Kenya through a program called International Volunteer Headquarters

Q: Where was your program located?
A: I spent one month in Nairobi and the next two months in a town called Gilgil- both located in Kenya.


Q: Approximately how much did you spend to volunteer abroad?
A: The program fee was $1,300 and I also spent $1,700 on airfare. Honestly, this may sound like a lot, but what you get back is so much more. You can't put a price on it. To any college graduate who can afford to do this. I would highly recommend it.


Q: Did you earn any income while abroad?
A: No I didn't, but I did help them in the office a lot while I was there and because of this I was offered a possibility to work for them at their headquarters here in the U.S. So I did not earn money while I was there, but I came out with a potential job offer! 

Q: Where did you live while you were there?
A: I lived with a host family. They were two Kenyan sisters. I was amazed at how welcoming they were and I instantly loved them.


Q: Tell us a little bit about your time in Kenya. What were some of your responsibilities?
A: The first month I taught a 6th grade class in the second largest slum in the world called Kibera, located in Nairobi. I was able to see their math test scores improve and we formed an after-school choir to get the kids involved with something worthwhile. The last two months I worked in an orphanage that housed abused and/or abandoned street children. Learning the backgrounds of these kids (girls had been gang raped, poisoned by their parents, left in bushes as infants...) changed my perspective. I was in awe as to how happy these children still were after all they had been through.


Q: Share three things that you otherwise would have never learned or experienced without having volunteered in Kenya.
A: One, I got to live in a foreign country and learn about their customs, culture, foods, traditions, and so much more. Two, I learned about sincere gratitude and what is truly important in life. I realized how frivolous and materialistic the lifestyles we often choose to have here in the U.S. are. Three, I was able to go on a safari and see some of the most majestic and amazing animals that walk this Earth!

*All photos courtesy of Megan Brink. Her blog can be found by clicking here.

Well, that is all for tonight readers. I hope Megan's story inspired you and proved that it is possible to volunteer abroad after college. 

After reading this story, would you consider volunteering abroad after college? Let me know I would love to hear how you are feeling!

No comments:

Post a Comment